Sent: 12th Dec, 2017
G’day SF on vacation
Believe it or not, I actually haven’t been back to Australia for almost 4 years and finally, the stars have aligned and this Christmas I’ll be in the bush (out near Forbes, NSW) before spending time in Sydney to spend time with old mates, have several pies and, of course, to indulge in a great laksa.
In the meantime, I won’t be sending out the newsletter while I’m on break (first time in 71 weeks). I want to take the opportunity to take a true break and also rethink the format and cadence of the newsletter as well. Any thoughts or notes you have on that would be appreciated, so please hit reply if you have any.
Lastly, I have a small ask, when I’m back in Sydney I’d like to meet any smart or interesting folks working in tech, corporate innovation, or SEO. I always like learning more about those subjects from interesting people, so please ping me if you have any introductions.
I hope you also have a wonderful break, a Merry Christmas, and a happy new year :).
What brought you to the Bay?
“To answer your question, to start working at a startup in SF. Probably a very common answer I’m afraid” – Michael
“I’d been an expat of various executive assignments out of Australia since 2004 but my family and I only moved to the US in 2011. We chose San Francisco as home and have loved every minute of it. I’m still an exec in the same global company I was in when I moved here – a bit boring…. before this we lived in Paris and before that Shanghai.” – Vince
“I have been in Palo Alto for 4 months now. I moved here to teach at an international school in Menlo Park. The school principal is also Australian and signed me up after telling me about gdaysf this morning. ” – Amy
Bay Area Aussies Xmas Ugly Sweater Party! (link)
The Sydney Ducks are holding a Xmas party this Thursday 14th at 7pm, sweater is optional. Check it out, it’s a great way to meet other Aussies in the Bay Area and to enjoy a drink!
Bluestone Lane has opened another shop on 685 Market Street (link)
You can find this popular Aussie cafe just opposite Mazzarine and close to Powell station. Check it out for vegemite on toast, a flat white, and a taste of home :).
Net Neutrality (link)
As you know, I avoid politics, but this one is an extremely important issue that impacts the only free and open forum we have – the internet. It’s under attack. You can help here.
- Alice is looking for a dogsitter
- Rod shares a useful end of year tipping guide
- Lily is excited that The Rubens are touring
- Jacinta has a car for lease or sale
- Nick looking for advice on how to travel to Cuba
- Paull has found Coopers beer at 23rd and Guerrero
- Murali with advice on how to listen to the cricket on the ABC
- Joel wondering where to buy Sirena tuna in the Bay Area
- Andrew looking for the best cell phone company here
- Stefan wondering if he needs a US license
- William is looking for a bar with VB
- Tushaar has found barramundi in SF
- Anna looking for a fish and chips recommendation
- Neil wondering how to work for a US government agency as an Aussie
- Murali recommends Xoom for money transfers
- Raymond is looking for a clay pot crab with pork mince vermicelli
- Alfonso is wondering if E3 can get a car lease for > 24 months
- Divvya is looking for a $3k 2 bedder close to the Fidi
- Ned is looking for a cat and house sitter, 22nd Dec – 30th Dec
- James and girlie looking for a place from 1st Jan for 3 months
- Karen is looking for a place for her son, near UCSF from 13th Jan to 13th May
- Tim with a thorny visa question for extending an expired E-3
- Amy looking for Calgary E-3 renewal experiences
All flights below are roundtrip return.
Awesome events (you won’t get in Aus)
12 Dec | Julien Baker | Fillmore | $42
14 Dec | Thom Yorke | Fox Theatre | $236
15 Dec | Evanescence | Masonic | $177
16 Dec | Chris Robinson Brotherhood | Fillmore | $55
16 Dec | Jay Z | Oracle | $23
16 Dec | Lupe Fiasco | UC Theatre Berkeley | $93
18 Dec | Ray William Johnson | The Punchline | $33
21 Dec | Method Man & Redman | The Warfield | $22
23 Dec | Fishbone | The Independent | $39
31 Dec | Dave Attell & Friends | The Masonic | $55
6 Jan | Kris Kristofferson | Palace of Fine Arts | $68
12 Jan | Boyz II Men | Paramount Theatre | $47
15 Jan | Australia’s Thunder from Down Under | Cobb’s | $30
16 Jan | Marilyn Manson | Fox Theatre | $50
24 Jan | Ricky Gervais | The Masonic | $19
7 Mar | The Rubens | Swedish-American Hall | $12
For more cheap/free events see here.
Bay Area jobs with Aussie founded companies
Sales Reps and Customer Success – Upwire
Your communication workflow. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jobs above updated monthly, best is to view their job boards to see all vacancies. Know any Aussie founded companies not listed above? Hit reply and let me know.
E-3 Friendly Companies
News from back home
- Australia legalizes marriage equality
- Australia wins the second Ashes test to take a 2-0 lead
- Falling like flies: Senate loses 13 senators since 2016 election
- Westfield discussions spark takeover speculation
- ‘Handy man’ Salim Mehajer needs night work to support himself: court
Aussies open to opportunities
Looking for opportunities in the Bay Area? Hit reply and I can include a one paragraph in the next edition of the newsletter.
“I’m James Sully, I’m 30, and from Brisbane. I founded an integrated Healthcare SaaS company 9 years ago that was bought and subsequently went public in 2015 as MyHealth1st, where I was in the senior management team in charge of Partnerships and Strategy.
I’m in the bay looking for a new challenge and am searching primarily for roles in Partnership/Strategy or Business Development/Sales. I’m open all industries, sizes and recommendations.
Satire from back home
- “Phase One Complete” Says Militant Homosexual
- Red P-Plates On VW Golf A Fairly Good Indication Dad’s Making Bank
- Local Man Contemplates New Life With Senior That Just Fell Asleep On Him On The Train
- Instagram Model Not Sure Why Photo Of Her Goofy Long-Term Boyfriend Didn’t Do Too Well
- Shopper Stumbles Across Chainsaw She Didn’t Know She Needed In Aldi’s ‘Aisle Of Dreams’
And that’s it for another week. Hit reply if you have any comments, requests or if you need an excuse to share a yarn over email.
Chris, G’day SF
PS Forward to a friend today! Subscribe here.